While winter is a season of joy and celebration, we cannot deny the fact that most residential accidents happen during this time. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there’s a rapid increase of accidents happening during the months of December, January and February. These fire incidents result in hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of property damages.
Nowadays, most residential owners prefer using space heaters. Unlike a central heating system that warms all parts of your house simultaneously, space heaters operate on a room-by-room basis. Some might think that it’s an unwise investment. But in fact, a space heater is the only the only unvented heater safe to use indoors. It does not generate the harmful carbon monoxide, which is commonly emitted by liquid-fueled heaters.
To ensure that your family is safe when using a space heater, here are some effective tips that you need to do:
• When buying a space heater, thoroughly check if it has an automatic shut-off feature, tip-over protection (in case your child accidentally bumps to it) and safety certifications.
• Keep it away from flammable materials. Space heaters should be at least 3 meters away from curtains, upholstered furniture, clothes cabinet, and more. You should directly put it on your floor, rather than on your carpet. Space heaters truly need space!
• Majority of space heaters on the market uses about 1,500 watts. Therefore, it is important to use a dedicated socket so that overloading will be prevented. Never plug it on an extension wire.
• Always turn off your heater when you go out of the room. Aside from saving money on your electrical bill, when you keep them working even if you are not around, you won’t be able to monitor if an electrical fault happens.
• Always put it inside a room that has a smoke alarm that immediately detects traces of smoke. If an accident happens, you won’t totally burn your home because you have a sprinkler or an alarm in place.
Space heaters are truly effective but just like any other appliances around your home, you always need to be extra cautious to avoid life-threatening accidents.